Thursday, June 5, 2008

Driving, driving, driving......

June 5
Good morning at all who read this. I've be driving or riding alot for the past 2 days. Tuesday is our Saturday and we took a shuttle ride to Zion National Park. It took almost 3 hours to get there and we got to stay 3 hours and then do the 3 hour ride back to the RV. It saved us gas money and wear and tear on my blazer but it sure worked on our nerves alot! The driver of the shuttle drove 60 miles in 2nd gear at 70 mph average and did not realize what gear she was in. Of course Gary and I did just from the sound of the engine!
The short time we had at Zion we really enjoyed. I have pictures I will post next time I write. We definately will return using our own vehicle and most likely spend the night there too.

Yesterday, Gary had fire safety training so I volunteered to be the shuttle driver to St. George, UT for a shopping trip. (I got paid too!) It takes 3 hours to get there and all was fine on the ride there. I had 9 passengers of which 5 were from Singapore, 1 from Italy and 3 from different states here in the states. First we went to the shoe store so I could take care of my over charge problem I had with them and ended up just getting a new pair of sneaks. Now I can get rid of my old ones that hurt to walk in. Then I took us to eat at a Chinese buffet and you'll never guess what happend...the waitress was from a town 1/2 hour away from where the Singapore kids came from! So they all had conversations with each other for an hour and the kids thanked me for bringing them to this great resturant that was so much like home. Then we went shopping at Walmart.

When I came out after an hour the wind was starting to blow and it was lightening. We had to wait another 1/2 hour for the last kid to get his shopping done and by then the weather was getting quite bad so I decided no mall and just get going home. The wind and rain stayed with us for most of the 3 hour drive back to the Grand Canyon until we got to Jacob Lake then it turned to snow. So for another hour I drive in rain, sleet & snow depending on the alttitude. By the time we got home the temp was down to 38 and it was snowing really good. I of course was dressed for a nice sunny, hot day in St. George! Shorts and a short sleeve shirt and the girls all had on either shorts or a sun dress, we were definately cold by the time we arrived home. By the time I went to bed it was like a winter wonderland here once again. Most of the guests were not happy at all, expecially those that had been in the bottom of the canyon at Phantom Ranch where it was close to 100* most of the day.

So I have some other good news! Last week when I drove to St. George to pick up new employees Gary recieved a dinner gift certificate for 2 to the Lodge here. He was told it was for the wood splitting he had done in the last week. (All the guests were fasinated watching him and took lots of pictures.) He was so excited and couldn't wait to tell me. Then I go to work that night and tell my boss about it and she says "I sure am glad you told me that because every department has a gift certificate to be given out to the most deserving in each department and I chose you. But since Gary already has one would you mind if I gave it to someone else?" I said "Sure give it to someone else, we don't want to be hogs about it and just knowing that you thought enough of me to give it to me is great." "Well you have just taken over things here and do everything that is asked of you and so much more so you are the one that truely derserves it" she says. That was so nice hearing her say that. I have since been promoted to being the Tee-shirt lady. I'm in charge of the inventory and making sure we have enough shirts, jackets, sweats, ect. in the back of the store to accomadate the guests. That means going to the warehouse and taking inventory there too and pulling what I need at the store. It gives me alot more freedom in the store than just walking around and making sure things are where they are suppose to be and of course more respect from everyone and thus treated better than I was before. I love it and of course I am good at it too!

1 comment:

Kristal said...

Snow?! I thought it was "cold" here the last two days hovering at or below 88. I'm so glad you are having so much fun!